9 Signs Your AC Needs Repair. When the temperature starts to rise, the last thing you want is for your air conditioning to stop working. Unfortunately, surprises happen and one day you may come home to a hot and sticky interior when you were hoping for cool comfort. At SmartHouse Heating & Cooling, we offer emergency AC repair services in the Greater St. Louis area, as well as annual maintenance plans that help keep your AC from breaking down in the first place — all at an affordable price. Don’t let a malfunctioning AC get in the way of being comfortable in your home. Call SmartHouse today at 314-648-3162, text us at 314-310-2242, or schedule your service online.
9 Common Signs Your AC Needs Repair
If your AC is experiencing any of the following symptoms, it’s likely time to call a professional HVAC technician in St. Louis:
- Weak or warm airflow — If the air coming from your air conditioner is weak or warm, you might have a problem with the compressor, refrigerant levels, or airflow. A reduction in airflow may indicate a blockage or dirty filters, which can cause stress on the unit and increase energy consumption.
- Strange noises — If you hear strange noises like grinding, screeching, or banging, your unit may have a mechanical problem. These sounds could also indicate loose components, a damaged motor, or a malfunctioning compressor.
- Unpleasant odors — Foul or musty smells coming from your AC unit could be a sign of mold or mildew growth, which can cause respiratory issues and greatly affect your indoor air quality.
- High humidity levels — Your air conditioner’s job is to both cool your home and reduce humidity levels. If your home feels excessively humid, even when the AC is running, it could indicate that the AC unit is not properly removing moisture from the air. In addition to discomfort, high humidity could also lead to mold growth and other health concerns.
- Increased energy bills — If your energy bills have increased, it may be a sign that your unit’s working harder than necessary to cool your home. The culprit could be a variety of factors, including a broken thermostat, leaks, or even just the unit’s age.
- Leaking water — If you notice water leaking from your AC unit or pooling around it, you may have a problem with the condensate drain line, which can lead to water damage and mold growth. Moisture around the unit can also be a sign of a refrigerant leak, which can be harmful to the environment and could cause respiratory issues.
- Cycling frequently — “Cycling” refers to the air conditioner turning itself off and on to maintain your thermostat’s temperature settings. If your air conditioner is a single stage system that turns off shortly after you turn it on or runs for long periods without turning off, you’ll need an HVAC technician to come and diagnose the issue.
- Frozen evaporator coil — If your AC unit’s evaporator coil freezes, it can cause reduced airflow and warm air blowing from the vents, which could be due to low refrigerant levels, dirty air filters, or a malfunctioning blower motor.
- Age of the unit — Most professionally maintained air conditioners can last 15-20 years. While age alone isn’t necessarily a sign that something is wrong, it’s wise to have a professional HVAC technician inspect your unit before the hotter months to ensure it’ll be able to keep up with the heat. Older units are more prone to breakdowns than newer ones and are less energy efficient – at some point you may be better off replacing your unit instead of investing in more repairs.
While there are some troubleshooting tips St. Louis homeowners can try for themselves, most repairs require the knowledge and expertise of a professional. A trained technician can diagnose the problem correctly and make the necessary repairs to keep your AC running smoothly. Regular, professional HVAC maintenance can also help prevent problems from occurring in the first place.
Don’t let a minor issue with your cooling turn into a major problem. Our technicians are standing by in fully-stocked trucks to help resolve your cooling needs quickly. Make the smart call to SmartHouse today at 314-648-3162 or schedule your AC repair online.